Does the District have any plans to charge me for the water pumped from my residential well?

No.  So long as you are using the water from the domestic well in a beneficial manner as defined by our district rules and your well is registered with the District, the District has no desire to charge for water use.

Will the District require a meter to be placed on my residential well?

No.  The District will not require a meter to be placed on wells that are being used for domestic use purposes.

What is “domestic use”?

By “domestic use,” we mean the use of groundwater by an individual or a household to support domestic activity.  For example, water for drinking, washing, cooking, irrigation of small lawns, family garden/orchard, and the watering of domestic animals.

What do you mean by “producing”?

“Producing” means the act of extracting groundwater from an aquifer by pump or other method.

What authority does the PCGCD have?

The Panola County Groundwater Conservation District is a political subdivision of the State of Texas organized and existing under Section 59, Article XVI, Texas Constitution, Chapter 36, Texas Water Code, and the District Act.  The District is a governmental agency and a body politic and corporate of the State of Texas.  The District was created to serve a public use and benefit in preserving the groundwater resources of the area.

What authority does the General Manager have?

The General Manager of the District shall have the authority to carry out the purposes of the District and to conduct the necessary activities of the District promulgated by the District Rules without action of the Board.  The purpose of this authority is to allow the General Manager to properly conduct the daily and managerial activities of the District in order to allow the District to efficiently and effectively manage and preserve the groundwater resources of Panola County.

Why do I need to register my well(s)?

The accurate and timely reporting to the District is a critical component of the District’s ability to manage and evaluate the groundwater resources that it has the authority to regulate.  The registration of all wells is necessary in order for the District to be able to receive water use information in its jurisdiction.  The registration of existing wells will allow the District to protect exisiting well owners’ rights based on the historical use records.

What will happen if I do not register my well(s)?

The failure to comply with these rules may result in the assessment of fees, civil penalties, or any combination of the same.  Existing well owners that do not register their well(s) prior to December 31, 2010 will be presumed to not have wells in existence prior to the adoption of these Rules.  After December 31, 2010, existing well owners shall submit additional evidence that the well existed before the adoption of these Rules for purposes of grandfathering the well from the requirement to comply with any well location or spacing requirements of the District and any other entitlements that existing wells may receive under these Rules.

How much is 25,000 gallons of water?

The average household uses about 400 gallons per day.  A swimming pool that is 15 feet by 30 feet, at 6 feet deep holds approximately 20,250 gallons of water.